The India Meteorological Department or IMD has predicted heavy to very heavy rainfall over East, Northeast and East Central India during the next four to five days. Meanwhile, the Inter-Ministerial Central Team (IMCT) will visit Telangana on Monday to assess the flood damage in the state following the recent heavy rain.
The team will be led by National Disaster Management Authority (NDMA) Adviser Kunal Satyarthi and will consist of representatives from Ministries/Departments of Agriculture, Finance, Jal Shakti, Power, Road Transport and Highways and National Earth Remote Sensing Center (NRSC).
Highlights of the weather forecast and warning:
1. The IMD said light to moderate rain with isolated heavy rainfall is very likely over East Uttar Pradesh till 3rd August and over East Rajasthan on 31st July and 2nd August in Northwest India. Uttarakhand is also likely to see light to moderate rainfall. between 1st and 3rd August, while west Uttar Pradesh may experience excesses on 1st and 2nd August.
2. Himachal Pradesh, Punjab, Haryana-Chandigarh and Delhi are other places in North India where people could experience rain on August 2-3.
3. Light to moderate rainfall is very likely over central India with isolated heavy rainfall over East Madhya Pradesh and North Chhattisgarh during the next five days and over Northwest Madhya Pradesh on August 30, according to IMD. Isolated very heavy rainfall is also expected over East Madhya Pradesh on August 2.
4. In East India, Bihar, Jharkhand and Odisha are likely to receive light to moderate rainfall till August 3. Parts of West Bengal may also witness showers till August 2.
5. In the Northeast, “light to moderate fairly widespread to widespread precipitation with isolated heavy precipitation very likely over the region over the next 5 days. Isolated very heavy rainfall also likely over Arunachal Pradesh on 2 and 3 August; Assam & Meghalaya and Nagaland, Manipur, Mizoram & Tripura during 01 to 03 August 2023,” the IMD said in its bulletin.
6. In West India, rainfall is likely to continue over Konkan and Goa and Madhya Maharashtra during the next five days.
7. Light to moderate rainfall with isolated heavy rainfall is very likely over south India over Telangana on August 1 and coastal Karnataka on August 2 and 3.
8. In Telangana, heavy rains during the past week led to inundation of low-lying areas and damaged agricultural fields at several places in the state. The Met Center said that heavy rain is very likely to occur at isolated places in Adilabad, Komaram Bheem Asifabad, Mancherial, Nirmal, Jayashankar Bhupalapally, Mulugu, Bhadradri Kothagudem, Mahabubabad districts of Telangana from 8:30 am on August 1 to 8:30 am on August 2.